Residence Permit

Residence Permit Requirements

After being admitted to the Institute, students have to apply for a „Residence Permit“ (Aufenthaltsbewilligung Schüler) at the Austrian Embassy in their home countries in order to be able to study in Austria.

The applicant has to provide the following certified documents in German or English:

  • Official confirmation letter from the Institute
  • Birth certificate (German translated copy is required)
  • Document proving your permanent residency if you do not well in your home country. Please be aware that holders of EU residence permit are not eligible for scholarship
  • An extract of criminal records
  • A copy of financial resources for one academic year (or scholarship confirmation)
  • A fully completed residence permit application form
  • A copy of your passport (valid at least until three months after the end of the course)
  • 1 passport photograph
  • Travel insurance (from your travelling date until the end of the Visa D)

Please double check with the appropriate authority as they might require additional documents. You can find the Embassy that is responsible for your country on the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs  website.


Note: You can only stay in Austria to study with a valid residence permit („Aufenthaltsbewilligung Schüler“).

Further information

Link to Austrian Representations: Embassies